We are looking for a curious and self-motivated data journalist to help clients discover, craft and visualise the story hiding in their data.
You will have a diverse background and range of storytelling skills across multiple media formats. You’re passionate about diving deep into datasets to discover new stories and trends. You are comfortable explaining technical topics to non-technical audiences, and clearly communicate your findings in a visual format. We’re looking for a person who loves working with data, always thinking of creative references and sharing inspiration with the wider team.
You are a naturally curious person and don’t mind getting into the weeds on technical topics. You also love to learn new skills and are motivated by working in a fast-paced environment. In everything you produce, you are extremely detail-oriented, obsessed with accuracy and clear in your presentation.
As a key storyteller, you will act as the owner of the story throughout a multitude of projects. You will be comfortable crafting the messaging, proposition and narratives for digital products and stories, and act as the guardian of this narrative throughout the project.
- 2+ years experience in a previous agency or newsroom environment
- Portfolio of proof with use cases and examples that show hands-on experience working with data, such as data-driven stories, insights platforms
- Proven journalism or related experience working with technical research and information mapping
- Comfortable and agile learning new technologies and leveraging open source tools
- Have a commercial mindset, inventive, entrepreneurial, always thinking of new ideas
- Proficient in Excel and Tableau (or equivalent visualisation tool)
- Working knowledge of coding languages for data analysis (Python or R) preferred
- Knowledge and experience in working with APIs, finding open datasets and cleaning messy data
- Team spirit, strong communication skills to collaborate with various stakeholders
- Excited about using multiple media formats to bring stories to life
- Good eye for design, especially data visualisation is a plus
- Comfortable taking on projects and stitching together multiple departments to achieve a cohesive output
- Generate new ideas from datasets to pitch to clients
- Work collaboratively with the creative team to produce interactive data tools and stories
- Assist the Strategy team in winning new work through preliminary data analysis, site analytics, research, etc.
- Conduct research and write copy for a range of formats including infographics, whitepapers, reports and interactive microsites
- Support across the creative team to bring ideas to life, as well as our accounts team to pitch and win new work
Interested candidates should email a CV and portfolio samples to [email protected] with “Data journalist” in the subject line.